Monday, August 28, 2017

Gilead, Shelburne & North Woodstock Hiking

We headed out this morning for another three day weekend in the White Mountains, well, our version of a weekend which begins on Monday. Along the way we made a couple stops for my upcoming The White Mountains You Haven't Seen book. Our first stop was in Gilead Maine right along the NH border where we followed a trail for a short ways before I bushwhacked up to a large ledge we've seen from the road many times.
Wheeler Brook Ledge, Gilead Maine

On my way down I checked out some talus caves along a broken ledge. Nothing too big or anything I'd really consider a cave but they did involve some climbing and crawling through small spaces.
Wheeler Brook Ledge Caves, Gilead Maine

From there we drove along a dirt road in Shelburne NH which was a pleasant surprise because I figured we'd be walking the 1.5 mile approach to the bushwhack up a summit known as Stevens Point. Despite the shorter route, the ascent was difficult through old logging cuts but it brought me to a spectacular view that made the cuts, the buckets of sweat and bee sting all worth it.
Stevens Point, Shelburne NH

We ate at Gorham Pizza on our way by which was delicious, we got a gyro and a steak and cheese sub to share. We booked a room at the Rodeway Inn through booking.com a week or so ago and were a little worried because we've never done online booking before but it worked out perfectly and so much cheaper. I took pff right away to follow a logging road beside Pike Brook in search of waterfalls I could add to my Moose Falls chapter in the almost complete The White Mountains You Haven't Seen: Waterfall Edition. I wasn't expecting to find anything but I did find some nice ledges and waterslides I think I'm going to call the Pike Pools, they were fantastic and are definitely worth checking out even in low water like right now.
Pike Brook Pools, North Woodstock NH

I jogged back along the logging road and followed an unmarked trail beside Moosilauke Brook in search of more cascades or water caves to add to my Lower Lost River chapter. Again, not actually expecting anything, I was pleasantly surprised to find some truly amazing rock ledges, smoothed out into slides, chutes and deep basins that the water rushes through. I see why this is a popular swimming hole, it is absolutely beautiful. The rock formations are incredible. Lower Lost River had originally been cut from the book but may need to find its way back in with today's discovery.
Moosilauke Brook, North Woodstock NH, Lost River, Swimming Hole

No comments:

Post a Comment

Finishing Up NH Waterfalls

Up at 7:30, I ate my danish on the balcony and headed over to Kinsman Notch to check out the lower end of Clough Mine Brook. There were s...