Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Bog Eddy And Some Off Trail Falls

Today I finally got an early enough start to tackle Georgiana Falls and beyond, or so I thought. I grabbed a couple waffles on my way past the continental breakfast and ate them while walking to the trailhead just up the road. Turns out waffles aren't so good dry and syrup-less. But I hurried up the trail, running in parts, and made it to Georgiana Falls in half an hour. That steep section after the lower falls really kicks my ass.
Georgiana Falls, Lincoln NH




From there I continued on to the upper falls, a far cry from the last time I was here after a few inches of rain back on the 4th of July. I came across an unofficial trail I hadn't noticed before but didn't have time to follow it across the river. Instead I carried on past all the falls I'd remembered seeing on previous visits and then cutting into the woods to pick up the snowmobile trail. The trail quickly brought me to the edge of Bog Eddy where I got some magnificent views of the Kinsmans and Franconia Ridge. I was blown away but unfortunately my battery died while taking pictures. I continued on but ran out of time, knowing I had to get back to the hotel before checkout time.

Kinsmans from Bog Eddy, Lincoln NH

I had to go back to Stark Falls to get some measurements and explore the area a little more for the book. The brook was running pretty low today which made measuring easier, as well as rock hopping upstream. Last time I stopped pretty early on but today I went a bit further and am glad I did, there are some amazing waterfalls up there.
Stark Falls Brook, Kinsman Notch NH

Just as I got to a really nice cascade falling into an emerald green pool, the battery on my backup camera died as well so it was time to turn around. I did manage to capture a couple pictures with my phone and gps though. I even stumbled upon an old trail or logging road which made my return trip a little easier. But just a little, it was quite overgrown.
Stark Falls Brook, Kinsman Notch NH

I was starving by this point, as was Jaime, so we headed into town for lunch where we got some McDonalds and GH Pizza and ate it at Boise Rock overlooking the Cannon Cliffs. I had a Big Mac and fries and gyro, that was one hell of a lunch. From there I went up the Lafayette Brook a short ways to check out the old road there for my waterfall book but decided not to go all the way out to the falls again. I probably should have for exact measurements but I was running short on time. So we headed on over to Crawford Notch while my cameras charged. While writing my chapter on the Avalon Falls I realized I needed measurements and wanted to explore up a little higher. Jaime accompanied me for part of this one. She stopped at the brook and read while I continued on.
Avalon Falls, Crawford Notch NH

Let me tell you, standing at the top of a waterfall, trying to get my tape measure to go all the way down through the rushing water is not easy. Neither is getting it to come back up for that matter. And wouldn't you know they all turned out to be the same height. I never mind seeing the Fall Of Avalon though.
Fall Of Avalon, Avalon Falls, Crawford Notch NH AZ Trail

I carried on upstream this time where there were a number of smaller falls, some of which were absolutely gorgeous. The pools were so clear I could see the rocks at the bottom, some even had a greenish hue to them which was truly stunning. At the trail crossing I decided to call it quits and made my way back down, actually using the trail for once.
Avalon Falls, Crawford Notch NH AZ Trail

To be quite honest, I was ready to be done, running up and down mountains the past three days has my body feeling a bit sore. It's been a month since I've done any hiking. We stopped in Gorham on our way home but weren't hungry yet so we just picked up a gyro for a friend and headed on back. We picked up some Pizza Hut in Bangor and ate it all, starving by the tie we got home a little after 10:00, which is rather early for us. Boy am I glad I have tomorrow to recuperate because I am limping like crazy and my legs are shredded to hell from all this bushwhacking. Worth every second of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Finishing Up NH Waterfalls

Up at 7:30, I ate my danish on the balcony and headed over to Kinsman Notch to check out the lower end of Clough Mine Brook. There were s...