Monday, September 26, 2016

NH Vacation (Day One) - Not So Noble Falls

    We actually packed beforehand, for once, so there was no rushing around in the morning. We decided to take our new route to NH to avoid all the construction along Rte 302. Since we started going this way we've been wanting to check out a new development that they claim has views of the Presidential Range and it's own private hiking trails, both of which were true, it was definitely worth the little side trip. We made it to Gorham in just over 3 hours and stopped at Walmart for a bathroom break and to pick up a few groceries. Rather than travel down through Pinkham Notch and onto the Kancamagus like we’d planned, last second we decided to go towards Twin Mountain and down through Franconia Notch instead which got us to the hotel a few minutes after 2:00 which is exactly when we planned on meeting up with my parents.

    By this point we were pretty hungry so we went to White Mountain Bagel and got the Lumberjack to share so we wouldn’t spoil our appetite for supper. We might have also picked up some fudge from Chutters in Lincoln, but it was the only fudge we got all week. We took our lunch back to the hotel and ate by the river. We got room 4 this year which is one of the smaller rooms that doesn’t overlook the river but it’s okay, my parent’s room next door in 5 is better because it’s bigger and has a couch, a little bit jealous.
Noble Falls / Bridesmaid Falls (dry)
    After a quick lunch we headed out to Noble Falls with me driving for once, my parents in the backseat, because our new car is actually good. I’ve been monitoring the rain situation in NH for the last week hoping for some decent waterfalls but they didn’t get much, despite rain being in the forecast almost every day. A tree had fallen across the start of the trail since the last time we were here but nothing we couldn’t duck under, other than that the trail was in great condition and not too difficult other than the steep slope at the end to get down to the brook. But from above we could hear the waterfall, or lack thereof. Jaime stayed at the top of the ravine while the three of us navigated our way down to the falls, or should I say trickles. There was almost no water which was disappointing but my parents still loved it. The pool at the base of the falls didn’t even flow out down the stream, there was so little water it seeped into the ground and popped out ten feet away on the brook I had to carefully rock hop across last time.
Mountain Fire Pizza in Gorham NH
    I drove us over to Gorham for supper at Mountain Fire Pizza, my parents have been dreaming about it since last year. It was delicious but Jaime and I weren’t too hungry so we just got a small Maple and Bacon. Gas was a lot cheaper in Gorham so we gassed up and headed back, enjoying the blue sky and mountain views that weren’t in the forecast for the next week. I actually unpacked all of my stuff that first night which is very unlike me but made my stay much nicer. We got some much needed rain that night but not enough to enhance any of the waterfalls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Finishing Up NH Waterfalls

Up at 7:30, I ate my danish on the balcony and headed over to Kinsman Notch to check out the lower end of Clough Mine Brook. There were s...