Thursday, April 21, 2016

New Toy Acquisitions


       Wooo! My Masters Of The Universe Slime Pit just arrived. Yes I already have two of them, one being the Slime Pit I had as a child, the one that kinda scared me a bit, okay a lot, so my parents had to throw away the slime. I remember seeing a display of them at the grocery store once, yes Masters Of The Universe was so popular it was carried not only in toy stores but supermarkets and pharmacies as well, and although I loved seeing the Slime Pit so prominently displayed I had to hide behind the shopping cart. The artwork is amazing and I always wished I kept the box. Over the years parts of mine broke or got lost so a year or two ago I bought one that I thought was complete at the Toy Vault. It turns out it was missing one small piece at the top of the skull so I was going to buy that piece on EBay but while searching for it I spotted a listing for not only the complete Slime Pit but the box as well. I could have bid on it for $50 or bought it at the ‘buy it now’ price for $60 which isn’t bad at all because I was looking to buy the box alone for about that price. Jaime being the awesome wife she is said ‘fuck it, its ten dollars, buy it now’. Three days later and it has arrived. This thing is beautiful, well, ya know its creepy and scary looking but in a beautiful way. 

      On Tuesday I went through my box of Transformers I brought in from the shed to see which ones I want to sell and what ones are going on display. One of my favorites was always Devastator, the giant robot that the six Constructicons combined together to form. I had all six of them but was never good at transforming the damn things so I never actually got to assemble the construction vehicles. Finally, twenty-five years later, I gathered all the parts and built Devastator. He looks amazing but would have been rather hard to play with because he’s rather fragile. But he’ll look incredible on display. Another life goal complete.



    Almost ten years ago when we were poor and I had to resort to selling off some of my collections I sold some stuff I still sort of regret. One of those collections was the Thundercats. I had gone back and watched some of the original cartoon and quite honestly it sucked, so I sold the figures, not really being a fan anymore. Then the remake came out around 2010 and oh my god that shit was off the chain. Unfortunately it wasn’t very popular so the toyline ended prematurely and most of the figures were never made. I would have collected those but since most of my favorites didn’t get made it was pointless. But I did keep a couple of my old ones, Lion-O and both versions of Mumra, as well as Mongor who wasn’t with the rest of the collection so got kept accidentally and Driller who was not only my favorite but also pretty rare. The lower half of his body consists of three detachable pieces that form a drill. I only had two of the pieces but knew I had the third somewhere. Even as a kid I had that problem, one of the pieces was always missing. So I decided not to sell him figuring I’d find the other part eventually. Ten years later, I finally found it mixed in with the Dino-Riders I just brought back from my parent’s house a few weeks ago. Driller is now complete and what I thought was a $75 figure is actually worth about $200. But he’s not going anywhere other than my display shelf next to his other remaining Thundercat buddies.

      And speaking of Dino-Riders, while going through my box of parts I began assembling the T-Rex. You see, the Rulons would put intricate weapons systems on the carnivores and control them for their evil purposes. The intricate weapons systems consist of tons of small parts that break easily and commonly get lost. I’m about halfway there with the T-Rex but am missing a few integral parts of the $500 set. Yep, the armored Tyrannosaurus Rex is worth that much, not that I plan on selling him. I’ve found a few of the parts I need on EBay but haven’t ordered any yet. Krulos, the leader of the Rulons, still needs his gun turret perch to stand on so the hunt for Dino-Riders accessories begins.


    And even though I put it in one of my other blog posts, I also got Razor Ramon from the Wrestlemania series of WWE figures and Sycho Sid from the WWE Elite line of figures. I found both of them at the Toys R Us in Manchester CT a few weeks ago. The other figure I was really looking for was Sasha Banks. But I couldn’t find her anywhere so I eventually ordered her from Ringside Collectibles, the next day I found her at Walmart, two of them actually so I could keep one in package and take the other out. So now I have three Sashas. It’s a good thing she’s so awesome.

      Last night I told Jaime I was mad because the next batch of stuff I’m selling on EBay didn’t have bids yet, I was hoping to make enough on there to buy this extremely rare Skeletor figure that someone just listed. I only had $60 left from my EBay money and the figure is $60, I didn’t want to spend it all on one figure with Jaime’s birthday only a month away. She said “isn’t that the figure on your Christmas wish list, you’re getting it, now, go out there, get your computer and order it immediately before its gone”. Who could say no to that? So I ordered my 12” rotocast Skeletor figure from the 200x Masters Of The Universe vs. The Snakemen line. They were made right before the line ended so the only two figures in that style are Skeletor and He-Man in his snake armor which I also need. Yes, need. Skeletor looks amazing, the entire 200x series was incredible and in my opinion easily the best line of action figures ever produced. So the only thing better than a perfect 6” Skeletor is one twice that size. Can’t wait for him to arrive. I have the best wife ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Finishing Up NH Waterfalls

Up at 7:30, I ate my danish on the balcony and headed over to Kinsman Notch to check out the lower end of Clough Mine Brook. There were s...