Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Visiting Woodland Creatures

        So I woke up kind of early today and decided to head out and see how much I could get done before Jaime got up. As it turns out, not much. I got to my first stop of the day, Prompto on Broadway to get the oil changed in Jaime’s car, and she called me already. So I continued on to my next two destinations, both in the same plaza before heading home to pick her up.

        It was my first time eating off the Taco Bell breakfast menu which was amazing. I got a couple of the crunch, crap I forgot what they were called now but the sandwiches with the hash browns, one was a California style and the other was a country one. AM Crunchwraps, had to go to the website, it was bugging me. They were delicious, as were the Cinnabon Delights. Then I hit up Salvation Army, didn’t buy anything but took notice of a couple cool items to ask Jaime’s opinion on.

        I went home, shared my breakfast with her and then we headed out to pick up some stuff for our new car stereo that her friend tried to install today. I knew it wouldn’t quite work out because that’s just my luck but we all tried. I needed an installation kit and the wires so we went to Best Buy first, who didn’t have exactly what we needed so off to Walmart. They didn’t have the exact kit either but it was closer and cheaper, their’s would cover a 2004 Malibu Classic, whereas ours is a 2005. Yeah, it didn’t fit so I’ll be returning those. But we thought we were getting a hell of a deal at $24 when Best Buy would have been about $60.

        Then we went back to Salvation Army to check out my earlier finds. We decided against a cool standing lamp for the living room because it was a little rickety and it had a couple shelves on it Simon would surely jump on and probably take the whole thing down with him. But we did get the other two things, a white wooden blind for the studio for only $10, normally between $30 and $60. The green one that’s currently in there has been here since we moved in and probably should have been replaced then, eleven years ago. And we also got another raincoat, $6 in an XL. No hood and the sleeves are a bit long but I have a feeling it’ll come in handy, it doesn’t look all that bad either, of course not as cool as the LL Bean one but still nice. So now we both have raincoats.

        While I was paying, Jaime ran over to Hannaford to pick up hot dogs and buns for our little cookout today. When we got home we were discussing being bummed out because our woodchuck Linky hadn’t been around in a few days, and come to think of it, the ones a few yards over weren’t out either. I was starting to get worried one of our neighbors got mad at them for eating their garden and killed them. As soon as our conversation was over, guess who popped his head out from under the shed. Linky came back. Odds are he never left, we just hadn’t seen him.


        So I watched him while doing some dishes as he scurried around the yard, eating grass. He gets startled by loud noises like cars going by so he retreats under the shed, then pops out on one of the other sides and continues his never ending quest for yummy greenery. I noticed he looked smaller and lighter, and the easily distinguishable white ring around his nose was gone. Oh my god, another woodchuck. Linky was clearly about fifteen feet away, standing up, pulling down a giant weed to eat. The woodchuck I was looking at was another one. Linky’s sister, Franki. And their mother, Big Moma Woodchuck was across the street munching away on her own lawn. Linky and Franki were born this spring and while Linky moved across the street to our house, Big Moma Woodchuck stayed where she always does and Franki moved somewhere else. We’d been watching them since they were born. But during a huge thunderstorm, Franki must have gotten spooked and moved back home. We’ve seen her out with her mom again since the storm. Normally woodchucks are asocial, meaning they don’t associate at all with other woodchucks until mating season in early spring, then the newborns live with their mother for a couple months before leaving the nest. They are very territorial and do not live with one another in their tunnel dwellings. I’m assuming Linky and Franki are okay with each other because they’re still young and remember one another but she was certainly using his holes and they were eating near each other with no issues. We think she’s the girl because of the size difference but aren’t entirely sure. I don’t know if this was a one time thing or what but we’re happy to have another woodchuck, the more the merrier.

        I also had a couple birds in one of the trees I planted near the shed. They were both in the branches checking out my watering hole. My watering hole being a plastic paint roller tray filled with water and a couple rocks. I saw a bird bathing in it a week or two ago, right when I was about to quit on it so I got excited and decided to leave it. Again today I questioned getting rid of it until I saw the two birds sitting in my tree thinking about going down to the water. They made sure it was safe and eventually hopped onto one of the rocks and drank from my ‘ghetto birdbath’ as Jaime calls it. The water level was pretty low since it hasn’t rained at all and I haven’t filled it in a few days but they enjoyed drinking out of it and probably would have bathed as well if it were fuller. Don’t worry, I filled it up tonight for them. I even got pictures of them drinking from it. My forest is working! Its drawing wildlife which is exactly what I was hoping for. Well, that and giving us some privacy.

        Brian and Stephanie came over for a barbeque around 4:00. They brought their own grill since we no longer have one after Miles moved out and doesn’t talk to any of us anymore. Unfortunately, it turns out their grill bit the dust, so we cooked the hot dogs and hamburgers inside instead. They were still delicious. Jaime’s friend came over after he got out of work to install our new car stereo and speakers, something we’ve been needing desperately for years. For the past three years we’ve been on our last speaker and planning on getting a new system, one with an auxiliary jack we can hook our MP3 players up to. But of course our car sucks like always and the parts that were supposed to fit didn’t, which I knew would happen. So we went to Best Buy to get parts that hopefully would. About an hour and $140 later, we got what we needed. So we got back just as it was getting dark and he got to work. Amazingly the parts fit, but, we had a bad part in our car that won’t let power get to the stereo properly. So he’ll get the part and replace it but no new stereo today. Next Friday when we bring it to his place it should be easy sailing, should be. But he’s a great guy and good company so the time wasted today was no big deal. We’re just grateful he’s willing to do it for us. Can’t wait to hear music the way it should be heard, out of four speakers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Finishing Up NH Waterfalls

Up at 7:30, I ate my danish on the balcony and headed over to Kinsman Notch to check out the lower end of Clough Mine Brook. There were s...